Friday, July 8, 2011

Simple birthday cards, and belated challenges

Usually, when I make a card, I start with a layout, think of what I have, and just play with things in my mind until I'm ready to put something together. For class cards, I do plan ahead so I can order what I need in time, but those are generally simpler cards, based on a particular technique or stamp set I want to share with my students...

But, I have recently been invited to be a guest designer next month on a project tutorial blog, and have been seriously pre-occupied with brainstorming, sketching and planning my awesome, out of the box creation... which, is a lot harder for me, when I have to do it without actually having the materials on hand, while also making sure I think of EVERYTHING I need to order for it, and not missing a thing...

So, when I had some little boy's birthday cards to make, I decided to give myself a break and go for quick and simple... and I realized something... as much as I love to push myself, try new things and go crazy on a card, a simple card can still look super cute :)




This one is made with all retired stuff, aside from Baja Breeze, but if I like something enough to buy it, I usually still like it enough to keep it when it retires ;) I used the Inkspirations #76 color challenge (but substituting Dusty Durango for Peach Parfait, since I have NONE), and the CPS #225 sketch. I used the Cog Punch, Lots of Bots stamp set, and inks/CS in the colors mentioned, as well as a retired specialty brad. And of course Staz-on and my trusty blender pen for any watercoloring pics, as always! Easy Peasy :)



This one, I used ColorQ #92, and also a Create with Connie and Mary sketch challenge, which I missed the posting deadline for. I used Wild Wasabi, Basic Black and Whisper White CS; Tempting Turquoise DSP; Perfect Polka Dot embossing folder; Oval Scallop Frame Die; Fox and Friends and Party Hearty stamp sets; and Basic Black, Tangerine Tango, Tempting Turquoise and Old Olive (I don't have Wild Wasabi) inks.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how cute are these? That second one caught my eye from the thumbnails right away! Thanks for playing with the CQC this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so darling! I love the way you've used the challenge colors, and that cute whale with the party hat just makes me smile. Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Love the images of the second card. Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week.

    ReplyDelete